Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Nashville Flood of 2010


I have been watching all the news on the tv showing the epic flood that has hit Nashville, TN over the weekend. My family and I live about 50 miles east of Nashville, so seeing all this happen in my "backyard" has been surreal and it reminds me of when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans.

I drove through some of the rain on Saturday coming back from a jewelry show. The rain was coming down so fast and in sheets that I had to drive 20 mph on a state highway! I ended up making it home and stayed there all weekend. If we had to get out, we used Nick's truck.

Our driveway was washed away, so Monday I attempted to fill in the holes so that my car wouldn't bottom out when I drove out. A neighbor with a tractor happened to pass by while I was working on the gravel and asked if I needed help. It was a blessing to see that tractor do all that work in about 20 minutes. Now the driveway looks like we had new gravel delivered and it is all smoothed out - thanks so much Jack!

My husband sent me this picture of Interior Design Services' warehouse in East Nashville. I used to work in their home office and had been to the warehouse several times. I am still amazed by the water level and how many things in Nashville are underwater including: The Grand Ole Opry (I was just there a couple of weeks ago!), Opryland Hotel, Opry Mills outlet mall, Hard Rock Cafe, Bridgestone Arena, and LP Field (home of the TN Titans), as well as several neighborhoods, shops, stores, etc.

I plan on donating to the American Red Cross and am challenging everyone else to do the same. The citizens of Nashville / Middle TN need all the help they can get and that is the best way we can help!

No comments:

Post a Comment